回覆文章
Chanlunlun
夸克星
文章: 3847
註冊時間: 週四 09 10月, 2003 21:06

16 inch ultra light weight telescope - version 3.0

文章 Chanlunlun » 週一 06 7月, 2015 15:11

Dear ATMers,

The version 3.0 of the ultra light scope is released. Instead of pure carbon fiber the struss is a hybrid of wood and carbon fiber tubes. In this way an extra of 1.0 kg is added to the total weight of the telescope.

Carbon fiber tubes are thin and light but have serious vibration. Though not seriously, the stability of the telescope still suffers. Hybridization with wooden struss greatly increases the stability. Wood is a good damper of vibration.

The price to pay for is the addition of 1 kg of total weight. Wood is light weight, but not as light as carbon fiber.

In addition the single arm diagonal holder was also replaced by a standard 3 legs spider. The three legs spider has less weight thus helps to compensate a little bit the increasing weight of the wooden struss. Now I have three options to choose from :-

1. Single pole design – total weight 14.7 kg, light weight but not very stable.
2. Carbon struss design – lightest weight 14.6 kg, reasonably stable but carbon tubes vibrates at high frequency.
3. Carbon – wood hybridization – heaviest at 15.6 kg, but stable.

I opt for design 3.

Best regards
Chan Yuk Lun
6 July 2015
附加檔案
23.jpg
The custom made nose piece of the spider. A single piece of solid PVC crafted out by a milling machine.
23.jpg (279.44 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次
22.jpg
How carbon fiber and wood joint together. The total length of the struss can be adjusted.
22.jpg (317.68 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次
21.jpg
The business end of ver3.0. Note that a standard 3 legs spider replaces the original single arm diagonal holder. Otherwise everything remains the same as ver2.0.
21.jpg (306.09 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次
20.jpg
Carbon fiber + wood, ver3.0
20.jpg (362.98 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次
13.jpg
The carbon fiber version, ver2.0. Notice the single arm diagonal holder.
13.jpg (383.26 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次
12.jpg
The single pole version, ver1.0.
12.jpg (510.46 KiB) 已瀏覽 5202 次

Water
紅巨星
文章: 401
註冊時間: 週一 23 6月, 2014 01:40
來自: H.K.

文章 Water » 週一 06 7月, 2015 15:55

動畫 "復仇者聯盟" 中的 Tony Stark 可把 Iron Man 製作多個改良版本,現實中鏡神 Chanlunlun 兄同樣可把一支牛反望遠鏡製作多個改良版本,真的不可思議。

PTS
夸克星
文章: 17313
註冊時間: 週日 28 10月, 2007 08:50
來自: HK

Carbon fibre tubes

文章 PTS » 週一 06 7月, 2015 16:40

I found some carbon fibre tube at Ying Kee (Ap Liu Street).
They are about 2 cm in diameter, and about 35 cm long, with threaded ends. each will cost $150.

pts

Chanlunlun
夸克星

Re: Carbon fibre tubes

文章 Chanlunlun » 週一 06 7月, 2015 19:16

PTS 寫:I found some carbon fibre tube at Ying Kee (Ap Liu Street).
They are about 2 cm in diameter, and about 35 cm long, with threaded ends. each will cost $150.

pts
Thanks for your information.

However I need a total length of 6000 mm of carbon fiber. That will cost too much for me.

BossKwan
中子星
文章: 1254
註冊時間: 週五 01 10月, 2004 03:07

Re: 16 inch ultra light weight telescope - version 3.0

文章 BossKwan » 週一 06 7月, 2015 21:25

Dear Chan Sir,

I have no any experience of using carbon fiber meterials, I just know somtimes in some forms, carbon fiber can be harder than metal. As seen on your photos, these 6 mm carbon fiber tubes coupled with few sections and extend to about 5-6 feets, in such a lenght.... and looks so slim... I have a doubt and interested to know, is there really no serious vibration affecting practical observing?

By the way, how about using thicker sizes? 8mm or 10mm, are they available on the market? very expensive? Do you have these information? I love to know...
Thank you!

Peter Kwan

Chanlunlun
夸克星

文章 Chanlunlun » 週二 07 7月, 2015 00:24

BossKwan 寫:Dear Chan Sir,

I have no any experience of using carbon fiber meterials, I just know somtimes in some forms, carbon fiber can be harder than metal. As seen on your photos, these 6 mm carbon fiber tubes coupled with few sections and extend to about 5-6 feets, in such a lenght.... and looks so slim... I have a doubt and interested to know, is there really no serious vibration affecting practical observing?

By the way, how about using thicker sizes? 8mm or 10mm, are they available on the market? very expensive? Do you have these information? I love to know...
Thank you!

Peter Kwan
Hi Boss Kwan, long time no see.

Carbon fiber is no doubt very strong and light. However using thicker size such as 20 mm the weight will be no less than using wood. 20 mm diameter carbon fiber tubes are very expensive, considering the quantity that I am using.

When in a length of 1500 mm I am using, thin carbon fiber tubes tend to resonant easily at high frequency. The damping of carbon fiber is poor, at least no as good as wood. That's why I hybridizing carbon fiber with wood. However star test showed that such resonance seemed not affecting observation that much.

Now the vibrating problem is solved. Although a low tech stuff, wood seems to be the best overall material for construction.

大黃傻貓GARFIELD
中子星
文章: 1692
註冊時間: 週日 11 9月, 2005 01:34

文章 大黃傻貓GARFIELD » 週二 07 7月, 2015 09:46

Chanlunlun 寫:
BossKwan 寫:Dear Chan Sir,

Thank you!

Peter Kwan
Hi Boss Kwan, long time no see.

Carbon fiber is no doubt very strong and light. However using thicker size such as 20 mm the weight will be no less than using wood. 20 mm diameter carbon fiber tubes are very expensive, considering the quantity that I am using.

When in a length of 1500 mm I am using, thin carbon fiber tubes tend to resonant easily at high frequency. The damping of carbon fiber is poor, at least no as good as wood. That's why I hybridizing carbon fiber with wood. However star test showed that such resonance seemed not affecting observation that much.

Now the vibrating problem is solved. Although a low tech stuff, wood seems to be the best overall material for construction.
Wood is not actually "low tech" - we still cannot make such light and durable materials cheaply!

BossKwan
中子星

文章 BossKwan » 週四 09 7月, 2015 23:37

Chanlunlun 寫: Hi Boss Kwan, long time no see.

Now the vibrating problem is solved..........
Right! long time no see... :)

Please don't mind my ignorance about carbon fiber. I have a few questions?

Can they be easily shortened by hand-saw?

Can they be easily drilled for small holes?

You are using those 6mm size, how long its original lenght each for shipping? Can you disclose the price?

Chanlunlun
夸克星

文章 Chanlunlun » 週五 10 7月, 2015 16:39

BossKwan 寫:
Chanlunlun 寫: Hi Boss Kwan, long time no see.

Now the vibrating problem is solved..........
Right! long time no see... :)

You are using those 6mm size, how long its original lenght each for shipping? Can you disclose the price?
Hi BossKwan, your wish is my command.

Carbon fiber is very easy to cut by handsaw. They are as easy going as plywood.

Similarly they are very easy to drill. I haven't try them on lathe or milling machine, but I guess they are readily to be machined same as bronze or aluminium.

Each carbon fiber tube came with a standard length of 1000 mm ( 1 m). For a 6mm with 3 mm hole each piece cost around HK$ 23, including transportation fee. I bought them from TaoBao.

BossKwan
中子星

文章 BossKwan » 週日 12 7月, 2015 02:54

Chanlunlun 寫:
BossKwan 寫:

Hi BossKwan, your wish is my command.

Carbon fiber is very easy to cut by handsaw. They are as easy going as plywood.

Similarly they are very easy to drill. I haven't try them on lathe or milling machine, but I guess they are readily to be machined same as bronze or aluminium.

Each carbon fiber tube came with a standard length of 1000 mm ( 1 m). For a 6mm with 3 mm hole each piece cost around HK$ 23, including transportation fee. I bought them from TaoBao.
Many thanks for all of your answers!

As your description, carbon fiber is easy processing materials as aluminium. My original plan choses aluminium tube for the truss structure, this moment, there should be no any hesitation for me to take carbon fiber instead of aluminium.

Also thanks for your reminder, I today tried research on taobao for other sizes, truly, there are lots of different sizes, and of course including my desirable size: 10mm. Besides, most of the prices seem reasonable. That is really a good news for me...

回覆文章

回到「自製天文望遠鏡 Amateur Telescope Making 」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 15 位訪客